Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Thursday, October 22, 2020

October 22, 2020. Eureka Springs, AR. Technology

I can't keep up with the technological changes which seem to be obsolete just as I get to some degree of understanding the last change. I have an older model cell phone, an android smart phone which is smarter than me, but not as smart as the 4 or 5 iterations which have come out since my "6" phone. Karen has an 8, my sister-in-law has soothing like a 10 and the latest is beyond normal numbers.
There are notepads, tablets, minis, maxis, boosters, wi-fi extenders which can't extend a wi-fi signal with too little input or not enough output. Our HVAC tells us when it is too cold for air and too warm for heat and does it all automatically. We are thinking about a standby generator to automatically run our household power should the HVAC system lose it's brain because of a loss of electric power. All of these systems don't need any action on our part except trusting the people who have installed them, to do so properly.
And, whatever we buy, we get a survey to rate the service we received, the quality of the product and a discount on the next order we make. Non-profits want our support, and when we do, they keep badgering us for more money, or tempt us with a new book, dvd, cd, or special offer which will only be available for the next 48 hours. My phone gets untold numbers of calls from people who want me to vote for them or for an issue I have no interest in. I wish I wasn't getting calls, texts and snail mail for Eugenia, and as often as I block the number, it just comes from another number.
It's too much. It's too intrusive and it's only bound to get worse with open enrollment for Medicare, Political solicitors and all the special interest groups wanting our support and financial gifts. And, who knows what the latest scam will be and what foreign country or radical group will be behind it.
I do remember when an operator used to say"number please", when we had regular cash registers at every store and life was a lot simpler, time went by more slowly and we wore masks playing cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians and we didn't think if we were offending someone with our nickname or the name of our favorite sports team. We do live in challenging times, great things are still in the offing........I hope........but I do miss the adventures of the past and the " good old days".

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment