Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

April 28, 2021. Holiday Island, AR. Speak English

This is NOT a blog about people who come to this country to live, have lived here for a long time, and still speak the language of the country they came from. Even though that annoys me, I really want to talk about what those of us who have lived in the United States all our life and speak only English are doing to the English language.
I admit that I do not speak perfect English, and I often misuse words. I have "pet" words I use too often and often talk too much. But I don't start every sentence with the word "so". I don't say "like" or "you know" in every sentence. I have never eaten a food I was willing "to die for" and I "wasn't born yesterday" or "a spring chicken". I don't buy products which promise to give me my "life back", my "lips back", my "hands back", or any other part of my body "back". And why do weather people say "overnight hours", "morning hours", when there is no reason to add "hours" to a period of time which is already specific? Why does the President have to say "for God's sake" and then use the word "hell" so often? A lot of how we respond to people is tempered by the words they use and the manner in which it is conveyed?
I have probably insulted some of my readers with my "peeves" about how we use words improperly, but our words do matter, and how we speak is a reflection on us, how we want people to treat us, respect our opinions and our concern for others. It's not easy to break a "habit", but if we realize that when we speak to others, we should also be a "listener" to the words which come out of OUR mouth. Let those who have ears to hear.............that means ME too.




Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment