Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Thursday, January 14, 2021

January 14, 2021. Holiday Island, AR. New Phone

My cell phone decided not to work a week and a half ago. It had a long life, as cell phones go. I took the old phone with me to the store and all of a sudden it came to life. It was similar to IRMA, our Garmin GPS which went nuts one day, but came to life when we were about to trade her for newer model. IRMA is still with us to this day, but my old Samsung 6 has been relegated to WI-FI status (if we ever get WI-FI service at the cabin). I now have a Samsung A51 for my contact with the outside world.
Remember when we traveled across the country using pay phones, CB radios, paper road maps, cash and vacancy signs on motels as our travel aids. Boy, have the times changed, but it was a far cry from covered wagons, shooting your supper and cooking out over a wood fire.
We live in a fast-changing world. We see so many new things every day. New medicines, new companies selling products we have never seen before, life styles and world views which defy the moral standards we grew up with, rampant technological advances(?) and having so much of our personal lives available to the general public and being vulnerable to hackers, scammers, identity thieves, spammers, robo callers and people who want to take what is ours and make it theirs.
And amidst all this, my new phone knows more about me than I know about myself. Is it listening to me while I sleep, monitoring our private conversations, building a record of my activities which are open to prying eyes and evil-minded people? Poor Samsung 6, awaiting WI-FI and it's potential return to some of its former glory. Oh, for simpler times.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment