Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

July 16, 2014. Eureka Springs, AR. The News

I don't watch much television any more. We only have five or six channels to choose from and to be honest, there isn't much to get excited about on them. But we do get two national network news broadcasts and most evenings at 5:30, I opt for one or the other, usually NBC. Tonight I watched the News and soon realized that all the stories were about horrible things happening in our world: war in the Middle East, samples of deadly bacteria and disease strains being poorly monitored, drought and water shortages in California, the rising cost of chocolate, airline mishaps, severe weather and lightening deaths, a drug used by heart patients to lower cholesterol which is now deemed to be inefficient, a report on the movie Jaws and how it has unreasonably kept people from swimming in the ocean for years, a state Governor's testing the waters of Presidential politics when he already has an image problem in his own state. Even the commercials were depressing with all the medicines and their endless list of side effects and warnings. Only the hope of $5000 a month for life and the life of someone of my choosing after I am dead, boosted my morale for 15 seconds until it dawned on me that my "heir" might want me gone sooner than later to reap the benefits of his legacy.
The news is over now, and there isn't much I really care to watch on NBC or CBS or PBS or the two cooking channels or the Arkansas channel which reads to the blind. It's nice to be here in northwest Arkansas listening to the chirping of some birds or crickets, to enjoy a quiet evening after a cooler than normal day and 52 degrees at dawn. I think I'll go for a walk or take one of the golf carts and visit my animal friends at the barn, take a picture of the Christ of The Ozarks Statue and watch the sunset a little later. By the way, I'll skip the 10 o'clock news. I've already heard the news from Razorback Nation about the U of Arkansas' winless football season last year and the prospects for an equally gloomy season this year. How much more bad news do we need. Tomorrow we welcome visitors again to the Passion Play and our ministry of proclaiming The Good News, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That's the news we all need and can rest on for what's left of this life and the promised one to come. Thank You Lord. How Great Thou Art.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment