Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Sunday, August 11, 2019

August 11, 2019. Eureka Springs, AR. Remember When?

Yesterday I had a few hours away from my Holy Land duties at The Great Passion Play, and decided to do some "web surfing", as we used to call it. I also needed to take care of some business with my cell phone internet connection. As I began to settle in to the tasks at hand, I realized that something was not working quite right with my cell phone, and that what I needed to do, could not be done. After a few failed attempts with the cell phone and my Mini-IPad, it was obvious the problem was beyond my ability to fix. You can't call the carrier if your phone won't work.
I was soon to find out that something was amiss with the Verizon network and there was no estimate of when it might be remedied. It got me to thinking of how far we have come in our dependence on cell phones, computers, electricity, and the other technical advances during our lifetime. I grew up with no internet, no cell phones, manual typewriters, pay phones, party lines and "number please". Our automobiles had windows which had to be cranked up and down, there were no scanners at the supermarket check-out, televisions were black-and-white and had no remote. Gasoline was $.37 a gallon and there were gas wars, with the price dropping to $.17 a gallon. There really was penny candy and it cost $1.00 to go to the Saturday movie double feature with cartoons and the News of the Week in Review.
Things have changed, and we are at the mercy of a technology which has no real back-up should there be a major glitch in the system. The transportation system, banking system, communication system and so much more are within a hair's breadth of collapse and a paralysis of life as we now know it. By the way, when was the last time you used the term hair's breadth?
Remember When?

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment