Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Fwd: February 16, 2017. Madison, GA. Sleep

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "ministry of miles" <ministryofmiles@gmail.com>
Date: Feb 16, 2017 2:09 PM
Subject: February 16, 2017. Madison, GA. Sleep
To:
Cc:

          We're told often how important sleep is for our health and well-being.   In 2004, I had been working the 6pm to 6am work shift for 6 years and was having more and more trouble getting a good "days" rest while working those hours and volunteering at Church during the day.  A four hour sleep was about all I could manage, and most days I was only able to sleep about two.  Eventually I found myself falling asleep at work, unable to function well and in early 2004 fell asleep on my way home and at slow speed hit a light pole one house away from ours.
         A sleep study revealed that I had sleep apnea and stopped breathing as many as 20 times per hour.  The sleep doctor prescribed  a CPAP machine, but I found it hard to tolerate and didn't use it until after my heart attack in September, 2008. I still had difficulty, but with a new machine from the VA and a more comfortable barrel-type mask, I began using the machine regularly starting in December 2011.  The results were positive and since then I have used the machine for nearly 13,000 hours.  I average about 7 hours of sleep a night.  I feel so much better with the continuous air coming through the mask and the humidifier feature keeps my nose and mouth from drying out during the night.
         But every once in a while I get up during the night, go to the bathroom and when I return to bed, I fall asleep so quickly, I don't have a chance to put the mask back on.  When that happens, I don't get a full night of sleep on the machine and the result is a less than satisfactory rest.  That's what happened last night, so instead of getting 7 hours of "extra air", I got less than 4 and woke up fuzzy-headed, groggy and less than alert for the new day.  The discussions about repairs for a septic system, connections for a newly installed monitor in the chapel, potentially doing our 2016 taxes, and even prayer and quiet time left me feeling like a pre-schooler among PhD's, and the thought of doing anything around machinery caused me to step back and reconsider.  This blog is about as deep as I care to go and, in fact, I think I'll just wrap this up, put on my CPAP mask, lie down and .............take a nap.  See you in a few days.


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment