Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

January 24, 2017. Madison, GA. Another Candle

Memorial candles are supposed to burn for 24 hours, but the candle I lit for my father at sundown on January 22nd, burned for almost 40. Tonight, at sundown, about an hour from now, I will light another candle. It will commemorate the 21st anniversary of my mothers passing. She was injured in an automobile accident on January 23, 1996 and while the injuries were really not very serious, she had other medical issues which caused her to be over medicated and she passed away two days later.
Mom was a strong-willed woman. She and I had too many areas where we couldn't seem to get along or come to a meeting of the minds, and as a result we weren't always the "best of friends." As with my dad, there were lessons I learned from my mom and am thankful for my upbringing. When I had my heart attack in 2008, and Karen and I were faced with a monster hospital bill and no insurance, it was an investment my mother had left equally to my brother and me, which had matured, split numerous times, had the dividends reinvested multiple times, which we used to pay both the hospital and cardiologist bills to keep us from incurring a huge debt. Her wise handling of that investment for many years, and our continuing to keep it as an emergency reserve, was a lesson well learned and greatly appreciated.
So, in about 20 minutes I will light another Memorial Candle, remember the good times and the tough times, express my gratitude for all mom tried to pass along to me, and realize once again that even when we butted heads we were still trying to maintain some semblance of peace between us. All these years later, I know she was trying her best. I'm sure I frustrated her, as I continue to frustrate some of my current acquaintances and friends. I am a new creation in Jesus Christ, but the old lessons are sometimes hard to unlearn. I press on toward the goal.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment