Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

August 30, 2016. Eureka Springs, AR. Stucco

I have applied stucco once in my life, but today was my real introduction to "laying stucco" on a large area, it's important to know the proper words, have the proper tools and know that by the end of the day, you may not be able to move certain parts of your body, have multiple cramps in multiple muscles, blisters, and have areas of your body that may never be the same again. It's also important to know that the "scratch coat" is only the first of three layers which must be applied to the entire area before the project is finished.
I had never heard the words; hock, lath, weep screed, j molding, corner moulding or brown coat and a host of other terms which were foreign to me until I got involved in the "Marketplace" project at the Passion Play. I was involved in staining the fascia, soffits and eaves, as well as patching parts of the OSB which then needed to be covered with tar paper before the stucco process could be undertaken and applying wire screening to prevent birds from building nests in the exhaust vents. I also helped with some of the demolition work on the arches which will be replaced with a different kind of arch structure, the terms for which I think were in a language other than English.
It's been fun to learn new skills, work with people who know what they are doing and are able to guide a rookie in being of some use to them in their work. So many people have been mentors, teachers, masters and foremen as I just pitch in where I can. Right now I need to pack in some more liquids, drink a bunch of pickle juice to combat the cramps which are starting to attack my hands and legs, and get into the shower and get the quikrete dust and dried mortar mix off my arms and legs and get some moisturizer on areas of skin which feel like every bit of moisture has been extracted. Stucco work......is really hard work. Maybe tomorrow I can do something else...........unless the "boss" wants a repeat performance.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment