Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Friday, January 9, 2015

January 9, 2015. Madison,GA. I don't think I'll see the movie

Someone has a unique experience and decides more people need to know what happened, so they write a book. Someone else comes along and decides that more people need to hear about the experience described in the book, so they make a movie about it. To make the movie more appealing, they change some of the details in the book, add characters who were not in the book or do something to alter the original experience. They may use the phrase, "based on a true story", or "nonfiction novel", or just go ahead and put their own slant on the events and come up with a theory of what they believe the facts to be and still describe it as the "real thing".
When the movie "Unbroken" came out, I thought it might be one I wanted to see. I don't see a lot of movies in the theater, mainly because they cost too much and the food is way too expensive. Hugh and LaVon went to see the movie and felt that I might not feel comfortable as a Vietnam Veteran with all the violence of the POW camps Louie endured, and then Sonja called to tell me she had the book if I wanted to read it. I thought it would be better to try the book since it wouldn't cost anything and the snacks were already bought. If I didn't like the book I could just stop reading, give it back to Sonja and still have the snacks on hand. But, once I started the book, I couldn't put it down (just like the book "Zvi" Sonja leant me to read)". The book, to say the least, is intense and in a few days I had finished it. A flood of emotions; a deep admiration for what our soldiers and POW's faced in WWII and other conflicts, and revulsion at what we as humans are capable of in the way of inflicting pain and degradation on others in so many ways. The book made me rethink some of my military experiences and how blessed I was to escape Vietnam with minimal "damage". I'm glad I read the book, but I agree with Hugh - I don't think I'll see the movie.
Life throws us a lot of "curves". Things happen which we can't explain or don't understand. But part of the journey is to use what has happened to us, to help others who are facing that same thing and don't know how to handle it. How we got through it may be how they can get through it too. 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 explains this far better than I can, and is the reason for our Ministry of Miles and the journey we find ourselves on. God's Book is the Real Thing; while there have been some good movies based on The Bible, I think I'll defer, and continue to use my morning quiet time with God and the Truth of His Word as the foundation of my walk through this life. Thank You, Lord.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment