Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Saturday, June 16, 2018

June 16, 2018. Eureka Springs, AR. My Yiddisha Momma?

As one of only two people here at the Passion Play born and raised as a Jew, I get asked a lot of interesting questions. The other Jew, Dick (90 years old) was raised by an Orthodox Jewish father and accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior 72 years ago at the age of 18. I am 72 years old and accepted Jesus 19 years ago on June 27, 1999. Dick and I lead an Old Testament teaching at the Tabernacle of Moses in our Holy Land every performance day, and are usually asked what Tribe we belong to and if we were born in Israel or have ever been there. Dick tells them he is from the Tribe of Dan and that he has been to Israel as a tourist.
I tell people that I was born where all American Jews are born, Brooklyn NY, raised in Poughkeepsie and Schenectady, places only Spelling Bee contestants are able to correctly spell and waiting for the New Jerusalem to visit Israel. Our teaching approach is to give our guests a different "angle" to their Christian upbringing, exposing them to a new and different way to look at The Bible and the foundation of their faith in God and Jesus Christ.
I know a little about our family history back to our great-grandparents, but it would be interesting to go back further, if that is possible. I have given a DNA sample to be analyzed, to see if the results jibe with what my brother and I know about our lineage. I have always joked that I was really a Vanderbilt, given up for adoption at birth and not really the son of Morris and Pauline, but named after my grandfather, Harold Vanderbilt, the railroad magnate from up the road in Hyde Park, NY. Harold is not a Yiddisha (Jewish) name, after all. Thus, I await the DNA results. Am I Polish/Russian or Dutch/English? And maybe buried in the DNA somewhere it will tell me what Tribe I belong to. Being born in New York I may even be an Iroquois, Seneca, Mohawk, Onondaga, Cayuga or Tuscarora from my Camp Nooteeming Boy Scout days. Wrong Tribe; but stranger things have happened.
In any event, Thank You, Lord for the opportunity to find out more about You, about our history and our earthly roots, and .........for a sense of humor. It's important to see the lighter side of life amidst all the trials and difficulties we face. It's good to know You, and know You love and care for us thru it all.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment