Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Fwd: April 3, 2018. Eureka Springs, AR. 1968


---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: ministry of miles <ministryofmiles@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 3, 2018, 8:49 PM
Subject: April 3, 2018. Eureka Springs, AR. 1968
To:


       I've mentioned that 1968 is the 50 year anniversary of the start of the Great Passion Play.  I mentioned it, but it really didn't register that 50 years have gone by so quickly.  In 1968, I was in my first year of law school in Washington, D.C., planning to be married in August and not really aware of all that was to happen in my life during 1968.  And now, it is 50 years later.  Where has the time gone?  1968 was a pivotal year for this country and for me personally.
       Tomorrow is the 50th anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.  I remember that day well as we were preparing for Spring Break from school and the city, and many other Amerifan cities,  were about to erupt in terrible rioting, violence, burning of businesses, looting and much fear, as I drove out of D.C. northward to New Jersey.  In June of 1968 Robert Kennedy was assassinated after winning the California Democratic primary.  Again there was tremendous emotional distress and fear in our country for where all this violence was leading us.  In August, 1968 I was married after hearing from my Draft Board that I was safe from the military draft, only to receive my draft notice two months later and face induction into the Army in November, 1968.
         The war in Vietnam had escalated early in 1968 because of the TET Offensive and it appeared that I was destined to find myself in Vietnam after I completed my Basic and AIT training at Fort Dix and then Fort Sill.  In 1969 I did receive orders for Vietnam.  There were a number of other events in 1968 of note:  North Korea captured the USS Pueblo, there were Black Power protests at the Summer Olympics, the Apollo 8 mission orbited the moon with Astronauts on board, the first 747 jumbo jet was introduced, the political conventions of 1968 were full of protests and conflict and in November the country elected Richard Nixon as President. Without going into any detail,  I was not a fan of RMN then, or ever.
         1968.  Quite a year for our country and for me.  News broadcasts will recall a lot of these events in more detail as each 50th anniversary comes up.   50 years.  Hard to believe.  Where has the time gone and how can we ever gauge the impact these events had on us and the direction we have taken through life?
         50 years.




Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment