Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Friday, April 18, 2014

April 18, 2014. Searcy, AR. God grant me the serenity..........

On March 28th in Corinth, MS we were preparing to leave the WalMart parking lot after staying the night and replenishing our supplies for the week ahead, when we met two women involved in the local LifeChangers rehab and recovery program who were seeking donations for their organization. The discussion about the Jesus-based program covered a wide range of topics, experiences and professions of faith and trust, and amazing testimonies of healing and recovery. We told them about our Ministry, our dependence on the strength of Jesus and prayed for each other and the mission God had called each of us to. One of the items I purchased that day was a ring with the Serenity Prayer on it. I immediately put it on my right ring finger and have worn it continuously.
I have never been a participant in an organization like LifeChangers, Teen Challenge, Celebrate Recovery, AA, Harvest Farms or similar groups.  I have worked with participants through my benevolence and outreach work in Fort Collins, have contributed financially to them over the years, and only know the basics of the programs and how they work. I have read the words of the Serenity Prayer many times, but yesterday was one of those days when every moment of the day seemed like one where the "things" of the day were beyond my ability to handle and I wasn't handling them well or even at a minimal level of proficiency. I won't even give you an example because in the grand scheme, they were too petty and too insignificant to even merit concern and would show how out of control I was. It wasn't until we had a totally unusual and ultimately hilarious encounter with a Searcy Police Officer at 9pm last night that I realized how much I had need of that Serenity Prayer and the message it conveys for each of us every moment of every day. And so......
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference". While the rest of the Reinhold Niebuhr prayer is not on the ring I bought, it is a beautiful expression of how we should seek to live out the words of Proverbs 3: 5-6, "Trust in The Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths." Read the full Serenity Prayer. Read it until it sinks in and take it to heart as the path to a happier and more joyful life. Are you listening, Hal?
Oh, by the way ------ No fine, no jail time, no warning from the Searcy Police. Just a dedicated Officer doing his job. Ask us, we'll tell you the story. It may make your day, the way it changed mine and has started this day off on a higher road. Thank You, Lord, for humor and Your control of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment