Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Saturday, June 21, 2014

June 21, 2014. Eureka Springs, AR. Light

I have gotten into the habit of posting an entry on our website every three or four days. I begin thinking of a topic to write about the day before I actually sit down to compose it, sleep on the idea and usually wake up with the title and a first sentence. And then the words just come out and as Pilate says at one point in The Great Passion Play script, "what I have written, I have written". I proofread for spelling, but edit very little, if at all. Two days ago, I began to think about "light" as a topic, because we were approaching the summer solstice and the day when we have the most daylight of the year. But the topic took on a different slant as Karen and I took a ride at sundown that evening into The Holy Land and saw a host of fireflies flickering in the approaching darkness. It has been many years, 19 in fact, since we last recalled seeing fireflies on the Ole Miss campus in Oxford, MS. What a peaceful sight those little flicks of light are as they flit about and light their immediate area but can be seen and enjoyed from a distance. Remember how we used to capture them in a glass jar, poke small holes in the top and try to appropriate some of that light more closely to us?
Last night, as we were performing the crucifixion scene of the Passion Play, there was a lightening display visible to us on the set and directly in the sight line behind the three crosses on Calvary. The audience was treated to a light show only God could have staged and timed as it was. The God of Light creates the tiniest of light in the firefly, the light of our longest day of the year, and the spectacular lightening of a breezy, rainless evening in Arkansas.
After finishing my daily reading this morning, and before sitting down to blog, I looked in my mini-concordance for an appropriate scripture about light and settled on the entry "1Jn1:7 But if we walk in the light......" and when I turned to it in my Bible, I noticed that it was highlighted in yellow, but was not the entire sentence, so it was obvious it was yellow which had bled through from the other side. And when I turned to read the sentence I had highlighted, I found 1John 2:17. "The world and it's desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever". Interesting how God calls us to a verse, which bleeds through to a call for each of us as Christians, which came from a topic for a blog which originated from one of the smallest sources of light which God created. Praise You Lord for Your creation and Your creatures. Help us to truly do Your will, to be the light you call us to be and to know that this may be our home for the moment, but we have so much more to look forward to. This will all pass away, will be a fleeting memory in the light of eternity and we will live with You in that eternal light in new and glorious life? Praise You and thank You, Lord.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment