Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

June 18, 2014. The Great Passion Play, AR. Back on the Boards

When we came to Eureka Springs to volunteer at TGPP, I was prepared beard-wise and with longer than usual hair to be part of the cast of The Play, but my heart was telling me no. For three weeks we were part of the "up top" volunteers and were busy with a host of chores and tasks necessary to make sure the grounds were in good shape, visitors were transported to the various venues and our Play duties were not in the "talent" realm. But things changed when one of the "Christ figures" a 25 year veteran of TGPP, asked me to use my former acting gifts as part of the cast. I thought I would be put into a crowd role or some minor part, but was surprised on that very day to be cast as the disciple Nathanael with a few lines of dialogue. Since that first appearance, I have been cast as Phillip, Thomas, Jimmy(James the Lesser), a witness against Jesus before the Sanhedrin, a leper healed by Jesus, always doubling as a member of the crowd at the trials before Pilate and Herod. I have had the responsibility of being the "right arm take-down" man on several occasions , also carrying Jesus to the tomb. Tomorrow I will be cast as Andrew and will have the "left leg take down" duty.
It has been a real honor to be part of the cast, to be given such roles in my first year in the Play. Most of the cast has many years of experience, and almost all are paid for their participation. Karen and I have always served in ministry as volunteers and our service here is no different. There are a total of 84 performances this season and I have been in 15 of the 21 already completed. The cast members are a joy to be around. They range in age from a month old baby to a 91 year old crowd member.  I have learned a great deal about large scale productions and what it takes to make this a professional quality presentation. I am the oldest disciple by four years and with the size and steepness of the set, the physical nature of the roles, and the heat and humidity, it is not unusual to be pooped out at the end of the day. We are trying to cut back on our heat of the day duties, and it helps to have Team Effort young people to help the past two weeks and for the rest of the summer to handle some of the ongoing chores. Some of our volunteers who left will be coming back, and we still hope for additional workers for the harvest to arrive. Even though the play days increase from now thru the end of July, we should have a lighter load than we have carried so far.
It has felt good to relax with my feet up the past four hours after a morning of getting caught up the my riding-mower duties, to look forward to a watermelon party this evening with our fellow volunteers, and have a real non-play "easy" day. Yesterday was a rough day and tomorrow will be busy again, but for now it feels great to sit in our "house" watch the temperature outside rise, see the lush trees rustle in the wind and be blessed by our presence here at TGPP in the service of our Lord. And how abundantly blessed we are.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment