Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Sunday, September 30, 2018

September 30, 2018. Eureka Springs, AR. My Day in Court

On Monday, September 29, 2008, i testified in a court proceeding as a character witness for a man accused of bilking hundreds of people in a multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme. Yes, I testified FOR the accused. He had already been convicted, and this was the penalty phase of the trial. There were many witness for the prosecution, and only two of us for the accused. Needless to say I was not a popular witness for those who had lost significant sums of money, many of whom were friends and acquaintances of mine from the church we all attended. The accused was a former deacon and financial advisor to our church and well known and "previously" well respected in Fort Collins.
I testified on Gene's behalf, as a matter of loyalty to him for help he had extended to the benevolence ministry at the church which I oversaw, and for financial support he had given to Karen and me at a time when we were in some need ourself. I expressed no opinion on his guilt or innocence of the charges and I made it very clear in my letter toothed Judge and my court testimony that I was speaking only as to his support for us at a time when the ministry needed it and we needed it too. I had prayed about the letter I wrote to the Judge and the in-court testimony and felt both were the right and honorable thing to do. When I finished testifying, I returned to the place I had been standing in the back of the crowded court room, and began to experience was to be a heart attack which would necessitate a "lights and sirens" trip to the hospital, the cath lab, and two stents to alleviate a 99% and 95% blockage in two arteries.
That day in court convinced me my decision years before not to make use of my legal education and Virginia Bar membership was a wise one, and that my exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam in 1969 and 1970 was having an impact on my health and well-being. That day in court initiated a change in my life and our lifestyle which had, and still has, the imprint of God all over it. By listening to God, hearing His promise to provide for us and protect us when we surrendered to Him, followed His plan and trusted Him in all things, we have been blessed beyond our wildest dreams.
Gene was sentenced to six years in prison that day in court. I know nothing about whether any of the "lost" money was ever paid back to those who lost it, or what Gene is doing now. I was "sentenced" to a life of surrender to God and His call on our life. I think we did the right thing at that time, and while we look back to that day ten years ago, we prefer to look forward, to continue to be obedient to the One who sees us through the situations of this life toward a time when we will all be in the Courts of Heaven in His presence. One day in His Courts.............Thank You, Lord.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment