Miles -what it means

.

Hand of GOD
"Hand of GOD"                                                                                                                                                  

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

August, 12, 2014 Eureka Springs, AR. There is no away......

> Years ago, I heard someone say that when we are done using something or an item breaks and is not able to be fixed, we just throw it away: but there really is no away, since we have to put it somewhere. In addition there are people who are just plain messy and don't think about the mess they are leaving behind. As I walk the Passion Play amphitheater the morning after each performance, I've found some interesting items, money, things which can be used if not claimed and Items which have been claimed by their owner since it was of value to them and would be missed. But the items which make me most sad are the ones which show no consideration for the person who has to clean them up: spilled food, sunflower seed shells, popcorn, empty bottles, food and candy wrappers, dirty napkins, torn up paper or chewing gum stuck to the ground. We have a habit of criticizing a place we visit for being unclean or in disrepair, when WE are the ones who are unclean or destructive and have made the mess we expect someone else to clean. Granted, it creates a job for someone and they may be thrilled to have that job, but there are places where the trash becomes an eyesore or a hazard to others. And when we do pick up our messes we have to find a place to dispose of it. It doesn't go away, because there is no away.
> We ask people to pick up after their pets, but some disregard the signs. We put up "no littering" signs and even put the amount of the fine on the sign to deter people from throwing trash on the highways, yet some people toss out their trash anyway. We put trash barrels in parks and bins and dumpsters in strategic places to collect refuse, yet people still toss things on the ground and we see stuff dumped right next to the "no dumping" signs.
I get a lot of exercise walking the amphitheater steps, get to be out in the open air, can think about a variety of things as I do my self-assigned chore, develop blog topics and wonder about the people who left the items behind. But with it all, I'm grateful for being where I am, grateful to have the physical ability to do what I'm doing and the freedom to do it, or not. But most of all I'm grateful I'm not cleaning up some 70,000 seat stadium, yet thankful for those who do, and more aware of what I throw away and where I throw it.
Remember..... there is no away.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment